Director of Applications
Director of Applications
The Applications Manager’s role is to supervise and maintain the organization’s repository of software applications through best practices and the appropriate staffing and management of a technical team. The Applications Manager is also responsible for planning and coordinating the processes required for the provision of user applications and systems necessary for business operations. This individual will apply proven communication and problem-solving skills to guide and assist the user group on issues related to the design, development, and deployment of mission-critical information and software systems.
Strategy & Planning
- Ensure that applications meet business requirements and systems goals, fulfill end-user requirements, and identify and resolve systems issues.
- Review and analyze existing applications effectiveness and efficiency, and then develop strategies for improving or leveraging these systems.
- Cultivate and disseminate knowledge of application-usage best practices.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Research and make recommendations on software products and services in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Evaluate, install, configure, and deploy new applications, systems software, products, and/or enhancements to existing applications throughout the enterprise.
- Collaborate with analysts, designers, and system owners in the testing of new software programs and applications.
- Analyze documentation and technical specifications of any new application under deployment or consideration to determine its intended functionality.
- Ensure that any new software integration into company systems meets functional requirements, system compliance, and interface specifications.
- Design, develop, and install application enhancements and upgrades.
- Coordinate feasibility studies for software and system products under consideration for purchase, and give advice based on findings.
- Contribute to pre-testing phase of development by evaluating proposals in order to identify potential problem areas, and make the appropriate recommendations.
- Negotiate contracts with software and service providers.
- Liaise with company’s software suppliers for prompt rectification of any problems or emergencies.
- Manage and provide direction for the application team in support of business operations.
- Liaise with network administrators and software engineers to assist with quality assurance, program logic, and data processing.
- Compile and maintain inventory of company software and systems assets and their corresponding contracts/agreements.
- Develop and communicate training and documentation for end users, hold clinics as necessary, and other user-related activities.
- Develop, distribute, and coordinate in-depth end-user reviews for modified and new systems or applications.
- Four-year college diploma or university degree in computer systems design or computer science, and/or years equivalent work experience.
Knowledge & Experience
- 10 years direct experience managing applications and/or systems management.
- Proven experience in overseeing the direction, development, and implementation of software solutions.
- Direct, hands-on experience with automated software management tools.
- Strong knowledge of system and software quality assurance best practices and methodologies.
- Extensive experience with core software applications, including Oracle.
- Technically fluent in programming languages.
- Working knowledge of network and PC operating systems.
- Working knowledge of current network hardware, protocols, and standards.
- Good project management skills and/or substantial exposure to project-based work structures.
- Excellent understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills.
- Strong customer-service orientation.
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Ability to conduct research into application issues and products.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
WiredHive is an Information Technology staffing and direct hire placement firm based in Dallas, TX. WiredHive supports clients across multiple industries including, but not limited to, Technology, Energy / Utilities, Financial Services, and Healthcare.
Equal Employment Opportunity
WiredHive, Inc. is committed to having a workplace free of illegal discrimination and harassment on the basis of age, race, color, gender, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation and any other status protected by federal, state, or local law